How Will A Criminal Conviction Impact My Gun Rights?

Gun RightsFor many people, the worst part of a criminal conviction is the loss of one's right to bear arms. For hunters, collectors and others, a criminal conviction can create serious problems. If you are facing the loss of your right to bear arms, you need a criminal defense attorney immediately. With decades of combined experience, the lawyers at Michael J. Snure, P.A., are devoted to protecting your rights. Based in Winter Park, our law firm defends people throughout Central Florida.

What Types Of Convictions Will Lead To Losing My Right To Own Firearms?

In Florida, the most common situations involving loss of gun rights are as follows:

  • A state or federal felony conviction
  • A domestic violence injunction
  • Probation

If you have a state or federal felony conviction, you will be barred from possessing firearms. Depending on the facts of your case and other factors, if you are facing state felony charges, you may be able to maintain your firearm rights. In Florida, a judge may withhold the formal adjudication of guilt. In this situation, you will serve probation, but since the judge withheld the formal adjudication of guilt, you technically did not suffer a conviction. You will have to comply with the terms of your probation. Failing to do so will likely result in a felony conviction. This exception does not apply to federal lands, so even if a judge withheld adjudication of guilt, you could still face legal difficulties if you bring a firearm on federal lands.

If you are facing any type of felony allegation, including a violent crime, we will carefully analyze the facts of the case and determine whether withholding adjudication of guilt is a reasonable option.

A Domestic Violence Injunction

The other type of situation where you could lose your rights to own a gun is a domestic violence injunction. If you are accused of domestic violence, your accuser could bring an injunction for protection against domestic violence against you. Also known as an injunction or restraining order. If you are the subject of a domestic violence injunction, you will need to divest yourself of your guns. Specifically, you will need to let someone who can legally own firearms hold your guns for you.

Learn More About Your Options. Contact Michael J. Snure, P.A.

Call 407-469-6200 or email us to set up your free initial consultation.